Publications by IPCS Members
This page lists playing-card related books and articles by IPCS members and past members, which are published by people and organisations other than IPCS. Contact details for publishers, or details of where the publications may be obtained, are included where known.
Additions and corrections to this list are welcome. Please contact the webmaster.
- Tarot, jeu et magie: Bibliothèque Nationale, 1984
- Les cartes de la Révolution: cartes à jouer et propagande: Musée Français de la Carte à Jouer, 1989
- Les Loix du Jeu: Cymbalum Mundi, 1994
- Histoire du Bridge: Bornemann, 1997
- Petite Histoire du Poker: Cymbalum Mundi, 2008
- De Lisboa a Macáçar : um capítulo desconhecido das cartas portuguesas na Ásia / De Lisbonne à Macassar : un chapitre méconnu des cartes portugaises en Asie: Apenas, Lisbon (Bisca Lambida, 10), 2008
- (with Ross Sinclair Caldwell and Marco Ponzi): Explaining the Tarot: Two Italian Renaissance Essays. Maproom Publications, 2010
- The Game of Tarot: Duckworth, 1980
- Twelve Tarot Games: Duckworth, 1980
- Il Mondo e l'Angelo: Bibliopolis, 1993
- I Tarocchi Siciliani: la Zisa 1995, il melangolo 2003
- (with Thierry Depaulis and Ron Decker): A Wicked Pack of Cards: Duckworth, 1996
- (with Ron Decker): A History of the Occult Tarot: Duckworth, 2002
- (with John McLeod): A History of Games Played with the Tarot Pack - details at tarotgame.org
- (with Sigmar Radau): Spielkarten aus Goslar: Studien zur Spielkarte Nr. 6, Berlin, 1999
- Spielkarten in Hannover:
Studien zur Spielkarte Nr. 20, Hannover, 2009
- (with Sigmar Radau): Spielkarten aus Lüneburg - Spielkartensteuer und Kartenmacher:
Studien zur Spielkarte Nr. 22, Berlin, 2010
See http://www.endebrock.de/publs.html for a complete list of Peter Endebrock's publications.
Available from the author . Prices in brackets, subject to postal and packing charges at cost.
- Minor British Playing Card Makers of the 19th Century
- Volume 1 WH Willis & Company (£12 / 15€)
- Volume 2 Woolley & Company (£12 / 15€)
- Volume 3 Joseph Hunt & Sons Hunt's Playing Card Manufacturing Co.Ltd. (£12 / 15€)
- Volume 4 James English & Company (£12 / 15€)
- Volume 5 Hall & Banks, Bancks Bros. & Joseph Reynolds (£15 / 18€)
- An Anglo-American Partnership - Victor E Mauger & Charles Goodall & Son 1867-1877 (£20 / 24€)
- Isle of Man Souvenir Playing Cards (£12 / 15€)
- British Playing Card Manufacture in the 19th Century (£12 / 15€)
- Goodall's Playing Cards 1820-1922 (£25 / 30€)
- Goodall's Playing Cards - Court Cards, Aces & Jokers (£12 / 15€)
- Early London Cardmakers - 1560-1750 (£18 / 22€)
- Early Playing Card Makers in London And Ireland 1600-1850 (£12 / 15€)
- British Playing Card Wrappers 1600-1950 (£8 / 10€)
- The "Fennell" Series of Irish Heroic and Historic Playing Cards (£12 / 15€)
- Irish playing cards of the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries (£15 / 18€)
- A Great Victorian Enterprise - a pictorial record of Goodall's Camden factory (£10 / 12€)
The following are all published by Master Point Press, Toronto, Canada
- A Bridge to Simple Squeezes (2nd edition 2007)
- A Bridge to Inspired Declarer Play (2009)
- Still Not Finding Squeezes? (2011)
- Bumblepuppy Days: The Evolution from Whist to Bridge (2014)
- The Penguin Book of Card Games: Penguin, 1979, 2000, 2008
- The Oxford A-Z of Card Games: Oxford University Press, 1992, 2004
- Teach Yourself Card Games: Hodder Headline, 1999, 2003, 2006
- The Oxford Guide to Card Games / A History of Card Games: Oxford University Press, 1990
See David Parlett's website for details and further publications.
Franco Pratesi has published numerous articles on the history of playing-cards and card games in various journals and on the web.
These articles are now available to download from his web site naibi.net.
This page is maintained by John McLeod (email@example.com).
Page last updated 12th February 2015